Cognitive Enhancement Therapy
Physical Therapy for the Brain
Cognitive Enhancement Therapy (CET) is an evidence-based practice that helps people with schizophrenia and related cognitive disorders improve their processing speed, cognition, and social cognition. Cognition is the major source of disability for people that are recovering from mental illnesses. CET targets cognitive deficits that limit recovery. While medications are needed for most people with mental illness, they are not effective in improving cognition.
InterAct completed intensive training with the Center for Cognition and Recovery (www.cetcleveland.org) and has become the first program in Michigan with clinical staff certified to provide CET. Participants in CET complete a 48 week program which for graduates is like achieving completion of a Master’s level course.
The weekly program consists of the following:
- Computer based exercises using interactive software specifically designed for CET (1 hour)
- Small group-based social interactions with personalized attention (1.5 hours)
- Individual coaching session (.5 to 1 hour)
Individuals that complete CET demonstrate improvement in the following areas:
- Social cognition—the awareness to interact wisely with others
- Processing speed—enabling timely responses to others
- Cognitive functioning—attention, memory, problem-solving
- Meaningful roles—employee, student, volunteer, friend
- Self-management of mental and physical health
- Acceptance of and adjustment to disability
What People Say About Cognitive Enhancement Therapy:
- “I knew I had cognitive deficits because I had been discussing them with my case manager for years. Where the deficits were, I wasn’t sure. But with the help of exercises and computers, CET helped pinpoint some of those areas. The deficits were subtle but I knew they were there.”
- “My favorite CET concept is Idealism and Realism. Idealism would be the way you would like things to be and Realism is that sometimes things don’t go that way. Idealism helps you set up goals and ambition and motivation.”
- “I have learned about people’s emotions reading their body language and how I am coming across. I have learned that I am able to answer questions on the spot and am able to work with a partner on the exercises. My goal is to work with an employment specialist and get a paying job.”
- “CET has helped me change in the last year both mentally and spiritually. I have become faster at work, and more clear and gistful when I talk. I also understand other’s feelings more.”
- “InterAct is truly a model for CET implementation. The organization’s insistence on being in the forefront of evidence-based mental health treatment has made it a success.”
How to Enroll
If you are interested in more information about Cognitive Enhancement Therapy services, contact InterAct between 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (269) 381-3700. Enrollment is limited. CET services are currently available only at our Kalamazoo facility.